Sunday, April 15, 2007

Sun is Shining

Mmmmmmm what a glorious morning! The one tree outside my window that wasn't decimated by the tree surgeons a couple of weeks ago has suddenly sprouted a cloak of bright green leaves, all but obscuring the one pidgeon that really really likes sitting on one of the branches and watching me type.

The gigs this weekend were great fun. I was at the Comedy Cafe, which meant I could sleep in my own bed every night - yay - and I was MC'ing for the first time in a while.

Thursday night was very much a 'suits' night with several works outings in the place, but they were good natured rather than rowdy, so it made for an excellent night. In the middle section we had a couple of half spots, Henry Parker and Prince Abi. Both pretty new, and both really promising. I remember my first half spot at the Cafe, it seemed like such a massive space, I was terrified of screwing up!

Friday night was a new thing for me, they do an early show starting at 7.30 rather than 9.0 and I have to say its a great idea. Since my op I have stopped drinking fizzy drinks, so my addiction to Diet Coke has been kicked. In the first few weeks after I stopped, I assumed my lack of energy as the day wore on was down to the tiny amounts of food I was eating. Then I realised it's cos I'm missing out on all the caffine I used to get from the Diet Coke!!!! The result of this is, that I am ready for bed by about 10.30, so on gig nights I have to have a couple of cups of coffee to keep me awake. Doing an early show meant I didn't need that extra kick. God I am getting old!

When I got there on Friday, the club was in semi-darkness. A power cut had wiped out half of "London's trendy Shoreditch" . The house lights worked as did the pumps at the bar and the till, and there was one lone spotlight on the stage. When I went on, half the club was blackness. Bizarrely, it made for an excellent night. Call it the Blitz spirit, or the fact that a huge chunk of the audience couldn't be seen or see each other, but the crowd were just amazing.

The bill was Marc Lucero, Susan Murray and my old mate Tony Hendricks, and one after the other they all just killed. It was another one of those classic nights where it just got better and better as the evening wore on. Fabulous.

By last night the power was back on and while the audience were great, it didn't quite have the extra spark that Friday had. I think this is what keeps us doing comedy. You have this extra special gig and spend the next few gigs chasing that same high. Bit like smoking crack I assume.

To round of a fantastic weekend of gigs tho, Tony - who was on fire this weekend - gave me a lift all the way home, going about a gazillion miles out of his way to do so. I didn't even realised what he was doing, I thought he was taking me to Liverpool St tube, but nope, right to the door bless him.

I've always said that the kindest bunch of people I've ever worked with are comedians, and have a billion and one theories as to why, but I am still touched when a colleague shows me kindness. Blimey, not only am I getting old but sentimentality seems to be creeping in too! Better nip that one in the bud asap!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home