Friday, March 23, 2007

Blessings

Soooo last night I went off to High Wycombe to do a gig at the Town Hall.

I got it last minute, and the money wasn't great, but I was free so I thought sod it and accepted the booking. I've only done it twice before, and the last time was about 5 years ago. As I walked out of the train station I got my bearings. I remembered the steep hill from the station to the gig, and how the last time I played there myself and Adam Bloom had to run up the bloody hill to make our train! Needless to say Adam was way ahead of me, and I remembered shouting to him to lay on the tracks if need be so that I didn't miss the train. Such extreme measures weren't needed in the end, but I think I only stopped panting as we pulled into Marylebone!

As I walked down the hill I began to fret about having to dash up it again tonight but managed to put it out of my mind. The bill was fantastic, Glenn Wool and Ian Cognito as MC. The last time Coggers MC'd me was my birthday four years ago at The Glee Club, and at the end of the night he walked on in only a pair of boxer shorts with a cake for me. It was a great birthday present.

That's almost exactly four years ago as it's my birthday next week, so it was brilliant to see him again and a great chance to take stock of how far I've come on my journey in that time.

Coggers arrived and was looking really well, he even had a suntan from sitting outside his local pub for six hours the day before. Must be the Italian blood in him.

When the show started Coggers was like a bloody hurricane, the poor audience were a bit stunned at first, especially the young students at the front, it was funny to watch their faces. Before long they got the gist of what was going on and relaxed. He's on terrific form at the moment, and it was a joy to watch him.

He brought me on and you could see the audience thinking 'oh god another scary old bugger'. The beauty of having Ian Cognito opening the show is that I felt there was nothing I could do or say that would shock them, it's very liberating. I had a cracking time, really enjoyed myself and so did most of the audience I think!

Just before I went onstage Reg D Hunter came by to say hi, I haven't seen him since Edinburgh last summer. When we were in the dressing room in the interval Reg said to me 'Why are you doing jokes about being fat when you aint fat?'. The answer to that one is simple, I'm loosing weight faster than I can write new material! The compliment was much appreciated tho. Thanks Reg. I had a little chat with the guys then headed off to catch the train home. The thoughts of that hill daunting me.

Guess what? Not only did I climb it with a minimal amount of breathlessness, I also managed to run across to the platform where a train to London was just arriving, and catch it! Best of all, I got my breath back before we hit Beaconsfield! I must be getting fitter eh?

Off to Oxford Jongleurs tonight and tomorrow, if you're there say hi. If not, have a great weekend.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home