Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Frozen North

So the 'heatwave' ended rather abruptly didn't it?

I'm just back from spending a few days up north both working and visiting my old Pa, and I cannot remember ever being soooooooo cold!

Last weekend's gigs were great, I did The Castle in Wellingboro on Friday night which was just lovely. Huge love and thanks to Greg Burns and Danny Buckler both for making me laugh and giving me rides to and from the gig respectively.

Saturday saw me on a train from Euston to Manchester to do the Comedy Lounge. It's a relatively new gig and my first time doing it, so I was a bit apprehensive.

I upgraded to a first class seat, and it was pretty empty, so you can imagine how peed off I was when this couple chose to sit opposite me rather than taking one of the many empty spaces available. I sulked for about five minutes, then put my music on and buried my nose in the latest Vanity Fair reading all about The Sopranos.

The journey was endless! For some reason unknown to anyone with a brain all West Coast trains are going via Birmingham at the weekends, so a journey that's two hours in the week, takes three and a half on weekends. Add to that, the inevitable delays, the total travel time was almost four hours.

About three hours into the trip, I'd turned my iPod off to hear the latest excuse for crawling slower than a three-legged donkey and I heard the woman opposite talking. I realised I recognised her voice and when I looked at her, it was only blmmin' Lisa Stansfield wasn't it????? I left the music off and noticed from time to time she would hum a tune to herself - not 100% certain but I think it was 'I may not be a lady, but I'm all woman'.

When I got off the train, I was dashing up the platform and practically walked straight into John Thompson. I haven't seen John for years, but we did share an incredibly drunken night at a party at Malcolm Hardee's house many years ago, and he's always dead friendly when I see him. I have to say how well he looked, tanned and in really good shape, obviously living in Manchester agrees with him.

The club I was at is within The Printworks complex in Manchester, and I'd never set foot in the place before. The Printworks is a collection of bars and clubs and the whole place was heaving despite the cold, wet weather. The bill was great - Junior Simpson, Andrew Lawrence and Brian Higgins as well as yours truly. I was meant to be closing but somehow ended up MC'ing. It was great fun for everyone, but the biggest revelation was Andrew Lawrence who I haven't seen for a couple of years, boy has he come on! He was fantastic, a real joy to watch.

I'm all over the shop again this weekend, but looking forward to it, I'm really loving gigging at the moment. I'm much more confident onstage these days, influenced no doubt, in some small way, by the continuing weight loss... 44lbs and counting!

Life is good.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home