Monday, April 09, 2007

Egggscellent!!!!!!

See what I did there? Perhaps I should leave the puns to an expert like the fabulous Tim Vine eh?

Anyway it is still the Easter Bank Holiday, and I've spent the majority of it in Nottingham.

I was at Jongleurs with Miles Crawford, Hal Cruttenden, and Simon B Cotter, and what a strange weekend it was. On Thursday night it wasn't actually Hal but the lovely John Simmit who damn near gave me a heart attack when he came up behind me on the walk down to the gig!

I hadn't worked with Miles in ages and it was fantastic to see him, same goes for Simon who was doing one of his mad 'fly from Canada to UK for three gigs' trips! Now that is dedication! I whinge enough about getting the train from London! Thursday's gig was a bit odd, it was busier than usual, but the audience kinda weren't with us really. No-one died but you never really felt like you'd 'got' them.

Nottingham Jongleurs is on the redeveloped canal site and the hotel we stay in is at the top of a rather steep hill. I can honestly say I've never been lazy enough to take a cab there, but I have taken a cab back as it's uphill on the way home. Now with my newfound knowledge of the benefits of walking, I was looking forward to this weekend because I knew that if I climbed that hill three nights running, it'd be brilliant for me. So Thursday I did it with only a minor amount of breathlessness. I could feel the newly-formed muscles in my legs really working on some of the steep bits, thank god for those squats!

Friday morning I was on a mission, I wanted to hit the shops in a big way. It's somehow easier to have a spree when I am out of town, places are usually less crowded, so I went to the bank to get some cash out only to be told I didn't have any! I got on the phone to India and to cut a very long story short, a huge chunk of money just wasn't in my account!

Being out of town on a Bank Holiday meant there was sod all I could do about it, so I revised my plans and had a go at being a budget girl instead of a splurge girl. Of course, food shopping is easy, there's so little I can eat these days that less than a tenner in M&S covered all my meals for the weekend I needed some toiletries from Boots but had enough reward points to get what I needed without handing over any cash, and the book that I am currently engrossed in meant that I had no need to splash out on magazines.

It was bugging me tho, where had this money gone? I knew I'd paid it in, but unless the receipt was at home somewhere, I had no way of proving it. I spent so much of my early years ducking and diving with my finances, that the thought of not being believed when I am being honest freaks me out.

It played on my mind so much that Friday night's gig was not great. Partly it was the crowd that were there cos nobody else enjoyed it either, but my head was in totally the wrong space. Just goes to show how life can get in the way of art!

By Saturday I had resolved to put it to the back of my mind - thanks Buddha - and went out for a wander. I found Nottingham's branch of Primark and I was in hog heaven! Having heard about the riots at the opening of the new Oxford Street superstore, I was glad to be going to one that hopefully wouldn't have people ripping the clothes and each other to shreds in the hope of getting a bargain.

I only discovered Primark when I lost weight four years ago, and I was hooked. Sadly their clothes aren't exactly generous in their cut so no sooner had I fallen in love than heartbreak ensued as I grew too fat for their stuff. I still wasn't sure if I was small enough to fit into anything, but I went in anyway. Finally I spotted it, a purple smock top for £8. Sounds vile but it isn't. I took a chance and bought it with my now rapidly dwindling funds, then rushed back to the hotel to try it on. Not only did it fit but it was loose! Damn! How fantastic is that?????? My first Primark purchase of the new era!

I'm a simple girl and that's all it took to put me in a good mood for the rest of the day. Consequently, Saturday night's gig was a real cracker! Not just for me, but for Miles, Simon and Hall too. Hal by the way is on top form at the moment, if you see his name in a line up at your local comedy club, go see him, he's on fire!

I did the hill climb all three nights and was handsomely rewarded this morning when I got on the scales. I'd lost 3lbs over the weekend! I'm now 2lbs away from losing 4 stones!!!!!!! I'm also at a weight that three months ago I'd have been more than happy to be at. I'm a big gal but I aint fat no more! I cannot tell you how amazing that feels. Now all I need to do is write some new jokes!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home