Sunday, May 06, 2007

RompeyPompey

So there I was on Friday afternoon, bound for the south coast to do my gigs at Portsmouth Jongleurs.

The layout of the club aint great - it has the feel of a comedy club built when the owners thought the ass might drop out of comedy and so could be quickly converted into a superclub...it looks more like Ministry of Sound than anything else. This means that the sightlines aren't great and the sound is far from brilliant...very far. The audiences however, are fantastic considering half of em can't see the stage and the other half can't hear the comics properly.

It's fair to say it's not an 'easy' gig for the above reasons, but I was looking forward to it. The sun was shining, the hotel is cool enough and its by the seaside, what's not to like? Oh yeah, where the gig is on Gunwharf Quays is also home to a ton of outlet shops all promising bargains, bargains, bargains!

I used to only be able to shop at the Whittard outlet, coffee and tea always fits, or one of the many kitchen equipment shops, but not this time...I am small enough to be able to fit into any of the clothes on offer.

I went early on the Friday just so I could have a quick look round before work, I was like a kid in a candy shop! Didn't spend owt tho...how well behaved am I? In the old days I'd buy anything that looked like it might fit, just in case someone else snapped it up, now I can afford to try things on and see if they actually suit me. To people who've never had a weight problem that might seem such a stupid thing to get excited about, but believe me its a big thing for me.

Friday's gig was awesome! Not something I thought I would ever say about this place but it was. They're doing some kind of deal with the University so that students get in cheaper if they come to the comedy before the disco, and they were one of the most clued up and vibrant crowds I've played to in a long time. Friday night shows can be difficult because the majority of the audience have been at work all week and after a couple of beers tend to be less responsive, but these kids - and they were kids the average age must've been about 20 - were so vibed up and ready for a great night out it was just bliss for all of us.

The line up was Kevin Hayes, Dom Carroll and Geoff Boyz. I haven't seen Geoff or Kevin for a loooong time, so it was fun to catch up. All of us were mightily energised by the crowd and all of us had a fantastic time....yayyyyy for students!

Saturday was spent wandering round the Quays in the sunshine. I looked at grown-up ladies' clothes in Hobbs and LK Bennet, tried on a few things that just were not me, and settled for a pair of cheap jeans at the Gap outlet. All the jeans I have are too big apart from my Primark bargain ones that I got in Leeds a couple of weeks ago, and even they're getting looser! Then sat and read my book in the sun for a while, it was like being on holiday!

Saturday's show was pretty good, but lacked the energy of the previous night, the average age had risen considerably, and I suspect quite a few of them had spent the afternoon in a beer garden somewhere having a couple of cheeky beverages...still they laughed in all the right places and were really well behaved...to the point of being almost too polite!

Woke up ridiculously early this morning and as a result walked into my flat at 11.30...another bonus. I'm off to Jersey to do a gig tomorrow night, so making the most of my time at home.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home