Monday, October 08, 2007

I Did It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yay!!!!!!

So Saturday night I went off to do Bristol Jongleurs, its been a while since I did an out of town stopover and I was actually looking forward to staying in a hotel for the night. Mind you it was a Marriott, if it'd been a Travelodge I might not have been so keen.

The bill was really strong, Kevin Hayes, Phil Butler who was just so silly and so much fun to watch and really stormed it, and my old mate Carey Marx who was closing the show and killed it! He's such a great act these days.

I was MC'ing and if I do say so myself I was on fire! I felt pretty pleased with the whole night.

Afterwards I stuck around with Carey for a drink outside - so we could have a fag - and we were joined by Nick Doody who'd been playing the other gig in Bristol, Jesters. Its been ages since I got a chance to sit down and chat with either of those guys, so it was a cracking end to a great night.

I've noticed a new thing that's started happening at gigs now, men (usually very drunken ones) have started chatting me up! How mad is that? A few came up after Saturday's show, but the sweetest one was this guy who looked about 15. He'd had a couple of beers I'm guessing, and all he could say was 'How f**king funny are you?' over and over then he just stood there trying to think of something else to say. Bless him. Whoever you are, you made an old woman feel good!

I was up at the crack of dawn yesterday to get the train back to London. These cheap advance train tickets are fantastic, except that getting an early train which seems like a good idea on a Wednesday, doesn't feel quite so good on a Sunday morning! I treated myself to the upgrade, and read the papers all the way home...it was painless enough.

Last night I was doing one of my new favourite clubs, The Funny Side of Covent Garden. It's a tiny little basement venue, and the smallest gig I do these days. I find it scarier than playing a 500 seater to be honest! But, no matter how nervous I get, I have a great time every time I play there.

Last night I was more nervous than usual, cos I knew I had to do this new stuff I'd written for the telly show tomorrow. To be really honest I was sh*tting myself! I cannot recall ever doing 10 whole minutes of new stuff in a 20 minute set! I'd spent the whole day pep-talking myself up for it, and when the time came to go on I could tell it wasn't flowing easily, but it was working! People were laughing and my god it felt brilliant to do new stuff! My confidence soared with each laugh! It also enabled me to address the weight loss, as one of the bits is about what happens to your body when you lose a lot of fat. I got a cheer just for losing 8 stones! We're getting more like the Americans every day. Ten years ago if I'd said that, people woulda just gone 'Yeah, so what?'

So there ya go, I did it and I feel really chuffed that I did.

I also wanna mention Steve Day who was on before me and did one of the best sets I've ever seen him do, he's a terrific comedian! Thanks also for the encouragement Steve ... I didn't f**k up!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home