Thursday, October 16, 2008

Bargain Hunt

Nope it's not rhyming slang!

Tuesday morning I woke waaaay too early, but me being me I managed to fritter away the minutes till it was time to go down for my breakfast. I was so excited about it! I spent a good 10 minutes just wandering around all the different counters with their food from around the world, before having my usual fruit and yogurt.

After that, I was visited by Noor the nurse and her Auntie Endang. Noor looks about 12 years old, hard to believe she is fully qualified. She doesn’t look old enough to have done the training! She cleaned my wounds and applied the anti-biotic creme to them before stuffing me back into the compression garment. I’m waiting for the new one to arrive, this one is starting to stink like the fish and meat section of Chow Kit market!!!!

After they were done, I was on my mission. I jumped a cab to Sunghei Wang, to check out all the shops...and boy did I check them out!!!!! I got some real bargains, two fabulous Indonesian batik full length kaftans that are perfect post-op wear for RM20 each, that’s less than £4 a piece and I love em! I got a couple of pairs of trousers too, cos I am so swollen that all my size 6’s are too tight at the moment.

Something I’ve learned about myself different from the last time I was slim in a hot country (Goa 1991) is that I don’t suit shorts any more. They don’t make me look cute and spunky, they just make me look like a big old lesbian! No offence to any big old lesbians but its not the look I was going for! Obviously I’m talking Bermuda shorts here, not Daisy Dukes! Even I’m not that deluded! So the fact that the two pairs I brought with me are too tight to be worn is a favour for all concerned really. The trousers I got were all of £5 each and are very loose, they’ll be perfect for yoga when I get back too. Best of all I don’t look like I’m looking for licky-licky in em!

I had my first Malaysian Starbucks after all that, the prices are about the same as at home, the difference here is that when you sit outside to drink it, instead of a heater they have fans, electric fans, cooling the air! How fabulously un-ecological!

After a few hours hardcore browsing, I decided to head back to the hotel, I was ready for a nap. I decided it was gonna be easier to walk back rather than scrunch down to get into a normal cab, so I set off in the general direction of the Petronas Twin Towers, figuring that at least I knew my way back to the hotel from there. That’s JoJo logic for ya folks!

Luckily, I didn’t have to walk all the way to the towers in the searing 90 degree blazing sunshine, as I recognised a street name. I’m pretty sure I walked in a huge circle to get somewhere that could’ve been got to in a straight line, but I did it and I figured the sweat that was dripping from my by the time I got back meant that some of the swelling might go down!

I got to my room and cranked up the air-con to high, icily cold...marvellous! After a short nap I was visited by the Gorgeous Getaways masseuse, Sarah, for the first of five reflexology massages. Wow! Did that ever feel good! I could see my swollen ankles diminish before my eyes. Suitably inspired I whacked on my swimsuit and went to the sauna. I’ve never used a sauna this small before, they’re a lot easier to tolerate when you’re not fat aren’t they? I was in there for ages!

A cool shower and a delicious mushroom risotto followed by a few chapters of the Daniel Farson book on Francis Bacon and I was out like a light!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home