Thursday, October 16, 2008

Glitches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wednesday started off great! I woke up and dashed down for my two strawberries dipped in chocolate from the fountain. I have healthy stuff too, and I’m telling myself that the strawberries will help me heal. It’s bollocks I know, but my god it tastes divine!

I showered after that and waited for the nurse to come. She was right on time bless her, from there the day went downhill. She noticed that part of the wound on my inner thigh had come open, a stitch or two had come loose, and she reckoned I ought to get over to see Dr Jalil as soon as I could. She cleaned it all up and got me dressed, then Richard the driver arrived to whisk me across town. En route we picked up another nurse who sat with me while we waited for our turn to see the doc. I wasn’t overly concerned but hey, better safe than sorry eh? The 90 minute wait to see him - his waiting room was packed when we arrived - didn’t thrill me but I was glad to be seen at such short notice.

He took a good look and said there was nothing to worry about, the hole was so small it would probably close on it’s own, but if I was concerned I should call him at any time. We left his office and I got them to drop me at the Pavillion shopping mall. There was a GG get -together at the “Fish Spa” there in an hour’s time so no point going back to the hotel, even tho I was a bit knackered. The “Fish Spa” is one of those places where you put yer feet in a fish pond and the little buggers nibble all your hard skin away! It sounds insane and I was really looking forward to it.

The shops there are really fabulous, and I found myself drawn to Shanghai Tang. The sign in the window saying “Sale” might have had something to do with it! The stuff was fabulous, I could’ve bought tons, but I limited myself to a gorgeous black patent leather wallet with their logo embossed in silver on the front and a pair of jade green sunglasses that were just so over the top I had to have em! I got a lovely surprise at the till when they informed me there was 20% off them, yay for sales!

I was on a bit of a shopping frenzy but thank god didn’t have the time, I was dying for a coffee and found a wonderful coffee place with seats outside in the sunshine - I had to have a reason to wear the new glasses didn’t I? I treated myself to some pistachio ice cream too. Not sure of it’s nutritional value but it sure tasted good! By the time I’d savoured that, it was time for the spa.

The other GG clients were already getting on with it, so I didn’t get introduced to them, but they all looked friendly enough. Sadly that’s all I can tell you cos once I looked at how the whole thing worked I couldn’t understand why I’d been encouraged to go along. You had to crouch down on the floor then dangle your legs in the pool, bearing in mind that I cannot bend more than waist height, and the kind of surgery I had four days ago, I would’ve thought my rep would’ve realised it was totally unsuitable! I got my dosh back and buggered off back to the hotel, more than a little pissed off. So far today I’ve spent 3 hours waiting for other people for no apparent benefit.

As it turned out I came back at the right time cos about 10 minutes after I got to my room the heavens opened in a way I’ve never seen ever before, not even Hong Kong last year when Pierre Hollins had to buy a whole new outfit cos he was so wet! Not even ever in Manchester have I seen raindrops this big and this profuse! The sky blackened and the thunder and lightening followed. I looked down as the traffic outside came to a full stop in both directions - why does it always start raining at rush-hour here? Still the predictability is nice, I reckon we’d cope a lot better in the UK if we knew it was gonna be hot till about 4pm then piss down till 8pm then hot and dry again for the evening!

I got a call from Endang, they were stuck in the traffic and were gonna be at least an hour late for the massage. I’m ashamed to say I was a bit short with her - a mix of the day’s fuck-ups and the old menopausal grouchiness, topped off with the fact that I’ve gotten sooooooo used to being on my own and taking care of myself that relying on anyone for anything seems fraught with disappointment. Wow! I’m learning about myself here. Must be something in that coming to this part of the world to ‘find yourself’ cliche. Now all I need to do is remember to chill the fuck out!

I have to say that there is something very universal about humour. Endang is from Bali and her English is a gazillion times better than my Balinese, but there’s a slight language barrier there. However, funny is funny in any language and her and I are on the same wavelength. She soon had me out of my strop, gawd bless her!

After the massage it was more sauna, scran and sleep, the days are just racing by!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home