Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous!!!!!!!!

So last night I did a gig at the 'Gay friendly' Comedy Camp in Soho.

I've played there a few times and it wasn't till the last time I did it back at the start of summer that I really felt I'd learned how to do the gig.

I've got a fair few gay male friends (stop shouting fag hag at the back there!) and because they know me I can say what I like to them without fear of offending them. Playing to a bunch of gay male strangers is a different matter.

Now those of you who've seen me might think that I never worry about offending people, but believe it or not I just assume everyone is like me. I am always shocked when people tell me how shocking they think I am.

Anyway last night I was more than a bit nervous and I wasn't the only one, the lovely Nick Wilty was also on and he admitted he gets a bit wound up about doing these gigs for the same reason.

Nick needn't have worried, he had a cracker, and when it came to my turn, so did I!

I just opened my gob and out came all kinds of funny shit, I didn't stick to my regular set, I was ad libbing all over the place, did some new stuff that I came up with at The Glee Club this weekend, and generally had the crowd in stitches.

For the first time ever, I encored before I even left the stage! I guess they figured the poor old cow wouldn't make it up and down the step to the stage again. Whatever the reason, it felt great, and when I came off, Nick came up to me and said it was the best performance he'd ever seen me give, and he's seen me plenty!

My bestest comedy pal Stephen K Amos was in the crowd and to hear him laughing over the top of everyone else was brilliant, as was hearing the host and promoter Simon Happily telling me that I've finally cracked it when it comes to doing gay gigs.

Let's hope he's right cos tonight I am headlining another gay gig called Brouhaha at the legendary Vauxhall Tavern, a place that was home to Lily Savage for so many years. Let's make it two stormers in a row!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home