Monday, October 29, 2007

A Fantastic Weekend And A Lesson In Tolerance

Soooooo Thursday saw me dashing off to Kings Cross to catch my train to Leeds. The station was heaving and it was only when I saw the amount of kids running around that I realised of course that it was half term week. Still, I managed to get a seat on the train, and it was a quick journey.

The gigs all weekend were amazing, each one building on the previous one. The line-up was pretty cool, Johnny Candon (that's two weeks in a row we've worked together, we're becoming a comedy mother and son act!), Brian Higgins and Nick Revell.

Nick had 10 years off the circuit and only came back to it a couple of years ago. I know I feel rusty after a couple of weeks off, so gawd knows the nerves involved returning after 10 years!!! He's hit the ground running tho and did four quality sets in a row.

It's great when you work with people you get on really well with, we hung out together after the shows, had lunch, and the vibe was just really relaxed.

It was a first for me too, I did all my gigs in heels! I tend to be a bit clumsy, so have never dared go onstage in anything higher than a trainer, imagining I'd go flat on my ass if I did, but this weekend I wore my black patent f**k me boots and what a difference it makes. It's dead odd, but certainly as an MC I felt I had more authority onstage, like a comedy dominatrix I guess.

Like all girlies I've always had a love of high heels, and have several pairs in my shoe cupboard, but if you were to check the soles of any of them, you'd see that they're as clean and shiny as the day they were bought. The main reasons for never wearing them out is the fear of falling off them, as well as the pain caused by the load bearing down on them. Now that I am lighter that pain is pretty much gone, and my sense of balance has improved dramatically.

Just wait, you'll see me in my Louboutin's in no time!

On the way home yesterday, I treated myself to the upgrade and got a comfy seat in First Class. I spread the Sunday papers out and switched on the iPod, and just generally settled in for the trip. Three or four stops down the line this group of people got on, and cos my music was low I could hear the conversation. The carriage had filled up pretty much but I still had a four-seater table to myself.

I could hear this woman moaning that they couldn't get seats altogether, and when she spotted me she was mouthing off about how I should move cos I was on my own, and there were four of them. She had no idea that I could hear her, so I kept my head buried in the paper and feigned ignorance. I was thinking that I'd be more than happy to move, there was a single seat across the way, but her attitude really riled me.

Eventually, the other woman in the group (the one with manners) asked me politely if I'd mind moving so they could sit together, and all smiles, I said that'd be no problem. I gathered up my stuff and moved seats, and the two couples took the four seater. The rude, mouthy one wanted everyone to know that they were really important and kept talking about her job in a really loud voice, which got louder as they consumed their 'picnic' of Buck's Fizz and crisps.

I had to turn my iPod up really loud to drown her out, but then I noticed something different in my reaction to her. I was mildly put out at the way she'd spoken and she was a wee bit embarrassed when I so graciously gave up my seat, but a year ago something like that would've wound me up for days.

In Buddhist teachings you learn that all sentient beings are seeking happiness, and that we all have our own way of trying to find it. This has made me far more tolerant of others than I ever thought possible, and these people really brought that home. They've bought into the dream and with the aid of copious amounts of alcohol, manage to almost convince themselves that they're living it, but you can tell by their behaviour that they don't quite believe it, and feel cheated.

We all have our prejudices, and one of mine is people who've made a bit of money and overcompensate for their insecurity by being really loud and showy. As a fellow northerner, I find it embarrassing when they behave like that woman was. But then it hit me, she was just trying to be happy, but under all the bluster she felt insecure and overcompensated by acting like a twat. This point was illustrated beautifully as the train pulled into Kings Cross. The walkway was full of people waiting to get off the train, and she -by now very drunk - said 'We've got to pack these glasses away, they're my best champagne glasses'. She then noticed everyone looking at the rather plain 6 for £2 from IKEA champagne flutes, and corrected herself 'well they're not my best glasses but they have sentimental value'.

Instead of laughing at such an obvious display of nouveau riche vulgarity, I kinda felt sorry for her. I hope none of her glasses got smashed.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home