Monday, December 10, 2007

Last Week...

was spent doing Christmas shows in Southampton.

It was a bit of a mixed bag to be honest, the shows we would've expected to be hard work were a dream, and the ones we thought would be cosy and intimate were tough.

I am constantly amazed at how adaptable I am. After a couple of days in the hotel it felt like home. Of course, being a girl I take lots of things with me to make it feel that way, incense, candles, lots of books and magazines to read. I'm currently dividing my reading time between David Frost's excellent account of his legendary interviews with Richard Nixon, a book of Buddhist teachings by Pema Chodron and Grazia magazine. I'm just a mass of contradictions!

The shopping in Southampton has vastly improved over the years, tho it could be because I now have a wider variety of shops to indulge myself in. There's a massive Peacocks on the main drag that had a fantastic sale on. I got a 'velvet' jacket for £12! I also got two little smock dresses for a fiver the pair. Of course I hit Primark, but only for a pair of slipper socks for £1.50. I did splurge on a pair of Levi's, the most I've spent on a pair of jeans ever, but the sheer thrill of being able to buy a pair of 28 waist skinny Engineered women's jeans was overwhelming, I just had to hand over the cash. I was especially happy cos I know that Levi's don't do the 'vanity' cuts on their jeans, and there's no lycra in the denim to ease their passage over your hips. A Levi's size 28 is actually smaller than my size 8 Primark ones!

I ended up with an unexpected day off on Tuesday cos the show was cancelled, so I took a train over to Portsmouth Harbour and had a wander around the Gunwharf Quays outlet centre. In the Nike shop I got two fab pairs of trainers - one gold, one silver - for £50 the pair, and I picked up a gorgeous little black mini dress in FCUK for £17.

But of course I wasn't there just to shop, I was there to work and I have to say, for me, the gigs were amazing. All of them. I really enjoyed myself. We had a good line-up too, Addy Van Der Borg, Sandy Nelson, and the incomperable Sean Collins who was just a really joy to watch every single night.

I sometimes get a bit overawed when I have a big run of gigs, worrying that my health and energy will hold up, that I'll consistently do a good job, all that kinda stuff. This year I had a mild dose of that before I began the run, but I have to say that so far, it's been my best Xmas season ever!

I'm off to Edinburgh for the weekin a bit, and as my old mate John Fothergill is on the bill, it promises to be a cracking time. Looking forward to it.

Have a good week folks

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home