Monday, April 14, 2008

Marathon Weekend!

No I didn't run around London, but it feels like I did a marathon. It seems like years since I was in my flat!

Went to Brum on Thursday and did Jongleurs there that night. It was my first time MC'ing for a month and I really, really, really enjoyed it! The acts were all cracking and it was all fabulous.

Friday morning I was chucked out of the hotel at 11.0am and my train to Cardiff wasn't till 1.30pm, so what's a gal to do? Shop of course! Especially in Birmingham!

I was like a Tasmanian Devil running around. Got two of the Marimekko tops from H&M, fabulous colours, perfect for summer if it ever comes, and less than a tenner each, perfect! Did some sensible vitamin shopping too, but then got my big old treat...a whole hour to kill in TK Maxx!!!!!!!

The Birmingham branch is fabulous, its huge and has tons of great stuff in it usually. I got a fantastic pair of Reebok trainers for £20, all neon pink, green and black with like a mesh upper so that you can wear em without socks and they won't stink. They're a bit big but sod it, they look fab.

The Cross Country service to Cardiff is offically a really shit service, it took close to three hours and two different trains to get there, when it shoulda been one train and two hours - no wonder Virgin have taken their name off the sides of the trains on this service!

For reasons unknown, the hotel was switched at the last minute and instead of the gorgeous Marriott, right in the centre of town, near the shops, station and gig, we were shoved in the Future Inn down on the Bay - a £7 cab ride to and from the gig, and town and the station. Made for an expensive weekend!

I was on second both nights and to be really honest I can't say I enjoyed the gigs all that much. I never play the 'I'm a girl card' but the combination of some of the other comics and the abundance of stag parties, and lack of security made it a really blokey night both nights. I felt like I had no right to be on that stage as a woman...it was like I'd been transported back to the 50's!

It was only the fact that I am a f**king good comedian that stopped me from dying either night, and the casual observer would've said I had two good gigs, I guess I just want it to be more than 'good'. I'm not happy settling for second best, but there truly is only so much I can do, the audience and the venue have a part to play too.

I did have a great day out on Saturday tho with the lovely Smug Roberts and his gorgeous missus who I haven't seen for about two years. We went to St Fagans which has a castle (of sorts) and a museum of Welsh Life. I'd been before with Jeff Innocent years ago, but it was a sunny day and a lovely change from ransacking Primark! It was also fantastic to be able to catch up with Smug, who is soon to be seen in a new movie by Ken Loach! How fabulous!

Right off to get the dressings removed for the last time from my wounds -its all healing brilliantly - and if there's time, ransack Primark!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home