Friday, July 18, 2008

Interesting Times...

So this week has been pretty hectic in its own way. After the 'not-knowingness' of last weekend - I ended up not gigging incidentally - I've spent the rest of the time catching up on having fun really.

Last Sunday my mate and I headed off to the Rise Festival at Finsbury Park to see Jimmy Cliff. We got there just in time to see the Dub Pistols and the gorgeously-dishevelled Terry Hall doing Gangsters... it was awesome! I still knew every word too!

CSS were great fun too, tho I'd rather see them in a dark sweaty club, and finally it was time for Mr Cliff. He went onstage about 30 minutes later than billed, but I doubt anyone - least of all him! - thought that was gonna be a huge problem. Sadly it was, as 20 minutes into his set and long before he'd done The Harder They Come or Many Rivers To Cross, the sound was cut! At first everyone kinda hung around thinking it was a technical thing, but nope, it was the council! There was an 8.30 curfew! Shame nobody told Jimmy, he coulda done the greatest hits and not bothered doing Rivers of Babylon and Wild World! Still it was a good day out.

Monday was a big old first for me. I went and did my first ever Yoga class! It was a free taster session at the Iyengar Institute and I had no idea what to expect. I was so glad I went cos, boy! I loved it!!!!! For the first time in my life, I wasn't the fat, sweaty outsider at the back who couldn't do the same moves as everyone else. I was there in the middle of it all and I was doing some of the moves better than some of the other people!!!!!

I've never really been a 'group' person, but I suspect it was cos I always stood out for what I perceived as being the wrong reasons, but I tell ya, this felt amazing. Roll on the foundation course which starts next Monday.

Tuesday saw me camping it up along with a host of other menopausal West London women at the half price screening of Mamma Mia. At first it was so cringe-worthy, the way the songs were crow-barred in, but it just kinda wins you over to the point where even Pierce Brosnan's singing is just about bearable! Meryl Streep looks like she's having soooooooo much fun in it! The screening was followed by coffee-flavoured cocktails at the Electric on Portobello, and by the time I got home I was pretty tipsy. To the point where I fell into bed without even taking my make-up off. Always the sign of a good night out.

On Wednesday I met up with my great friend Paul who's been living in Italy for the last 8 months. We went along to a private view at Tate Britain of British Oriental paintings, called The Lure of the East. To be honest we spent more time catching up than we did looking at the art but what I saw I liked.

Thursday I spent the whole day with Paul, we had lots of catching up to do! We started with lunch in a fabulous Soho noodle bar, then it was a movie at the Curzon - Savage Grace - about the idle rich indulging in incest (as you do). Needless to say it was a tad bleak! Julianne Moore was excellent tho, and there was a very cute dark haired boy in it for about 20 minutes too. We wandered around the West End afterwards - even taking in a bit of shopping. I'm now the proud owner of a pair of fabulous Evisu jeans, which I've wanted for years but always been too big to get into! They look hot!

I bumped into a few comedy chums too, the lovely Johnny Candon who I haven't seen since he moved back to Dublin before Xmas, the gorgeous Rob Rouse all leathered up on his motorbike. He looked like a young David Essex in Silver Dream Racer, and last and certainly not least, Hattie Hayridge who I've not seen since Edinburgh last year. She was looking fierce and on her way to the Groucho and invited Paul and I to join her, so we did.

Thursday night in there is obviously the 'night of the really pissed people' and it was hilarious watching people in various states of drunken distress. I even saw a really old mate - Phil Dirtbox - who I've not seen for at least a decade! He hasn't changed a bit bless him.

So today its back to really working, and I've got a fabulous weekend at Bow Jongleurs which should be a lot of fun.

Whatever you're up to folks, enjoy x

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home