Friday, July 25, 2008

Monkey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still blown away by what I saw yesterday. I paid seventy-five quid for a ticket to see Monkey Journey To The West at The Royal Opera House in Covent Garden.

When I bought the ticket I thought it was an extortionate amount of money, but actually its less than my old weekly fag bill, so there you go, not obscene at all. And I have to say, it was the worth every single penny.

The Opera House itself is amazing, it was my first time in there and I loved the look and feel of the place. The sound/acoustics were phenomenal, the best I've ever heard. Based on those two things alone I'd go back there again, blimey I might end up being an opera buff!

Now to the show. There's scarcely enough superlatives to praise it with! Written by lovely Damon Albarn, the visuals by Jamie Hewlett, and directed by some bloke called Chen Shi-Zheng who is a renowned director aparently (I ain't that cultured!). It was just incredible from start to finish.

You can hear Blur-isms in the music, yet it feels very Chinese at the same time. I remember seeing The South Bank Show special on it last year and Damon talking about how he'd had to invent a brand new instrument to make the sounds he felt it needed - it paid off, I'd listen to this stuff over and over again!

A fabulous actor/acrobat called Li Bo plays Monkey and he is brilliant. He has all the primate manerisms without it being a cartoon, and a cracking sense of humour. The entire cast - and its a huge one, which is probably why the tickets ain't a fiver - are just wonderful. It lasts two hours without an interval and the time flew by! Before I knew it the lights were coming up and it was all over. I wanted to stay and watch it all again.

There really is everything in this show/opera. If you ever get a chance to go and see it, do.

Other than that, this week has been a time of consolidation. Working out how to get my mobile broadband installed on the new laptop (that took two days), mundane domestic stuff, and generally gathering my thoughts and energies. Its been good.

I'm off to Edinburgh Jongleurs later today, and taking the train rather than flying (even though the flights are given to us) cos I've worked out it's actually quicker door to door for me, plus I got two first class tickets for the same price as a plane ticket, and I don't have that EasyJet scrum to face at Luton.

Have a great weekend folks, and if you are going to see Monkey, enjoy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home