Sunday, November 02, 2008

Even More Monkeys!!!!!!!!!

Even though my wounds aren't entirely healed, I am on the mend and decided to celebrate this fact by getting out of the city centre on Friday. I went on a trip to Kuala Selangor to see the "famous" fireflies.

There were three other GG girls on the trip and our driver Meo was cool even tho we denied him any extra commission by refusing to visit his friends' leather factory and craft shops. The only thing we were interested in was the next part of the trip where we got to go out into the bush and feed some silver leaf monkeys.

I had no idea what this was gonna be like but my inner Dr Doolittle was practically bursting with excitement at the prospect of getting close to some primates. As we pulled up to the feeding area there were thousands of these little critters in the trees, running by the sides of the road and just being completely adorable.

We purchased our 1 Ringitt bundles of what looked like french beans, and suddenly we were the most popular girls in town! These little buggers swarmed all over us! The babies leaping from walls and cars onto our shoulders, the older ones tugging at our clothing to get our attention, all for a stick of this crunchy green stuff.



We weren't the only people there, there were lots of families who seemed to get as much of a kick out of watching us Westerners going ga ga over these animals as they did from the monkeys themselves!

We must have spent about an hour there ( and several Ringitts) and I can honesty say it was the best part of the whole month out here! They all had different personalities, most of them were kinda desperate for the food, grabbing handfuls of it, trying to get into my handbag where I'd stored the stash, one even grabbed me so hard on the arm he broke the skin! I've probably got Monkey Rabies now! Then there were the other ones, the less pushy ones who stood back and when you did feed them, they took it sooooo gently it made your heart melt! These were my favourites of course, but then I always did fall for the runt of the litter!

There were mums with their little ginger babies who were just so adorable and have so many human characteristics that you do realise we are only a couple of genes away from being full brothers and sisters.



There was one who even after the food had run out was quite happy to be stroked and endlessly fascinated with my red nails, examining me intently. He then seemed to decide that my thumbnail was some kind of juicy berry and started pulling it towards his adorable little mouth filled with very sharp teeth. Luckily I pulled my hand away in time or it would've take me a lot longer to type this post!

When Meo came to collect us we were sad to leave but all incredibly glad we'd come. He then drove us along this river as dusk was falling to what looked like a rather grotty little shack on the water's edge. It turned out to be one of the best seafood restaurants I've ever eaten in. The view was pretty spectacular too as you can see.



When the time came to go on the fireflies bit of the trip I was scuppered cos the seat in the boat was so low down I was terrified I might rip my stitches again, and as its only four days till I'm due to fly home I realised it would be a really stupid thing to do. I wasn't the only one to bottle it, so while one brave Aussie girl went out into the Mangrove swamps, myself and the other two sat on the dock and teased the boys. Much more fun!

By the time I was dropped back at the Shangri La at 10pm I felt amazing. Tired, but really really happy!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home