Monday, March 16, 2009

Too Modest For My Own Good!

So the weekend was fantastic actually.

I'd had fun at the Funny Sides on Thursday, got to hang out with some lovely guys at Reading Jongleurs on Friday, and then on Saturday was the nerve-wracking gig.

I was booked to do the Komedia in Bath, a venue I've not played before - which always makes me a bit apprehensive - but not only that I was headlining! Scary stuff. Mind you, I was in good hands - Rob Heeney was the MC and my ride home (gawd bless him) and Alan Francis (who I'd not done a gig with in a like a billion years) and Damian Clark from Australia who was new to me.

I got the train down there, which was nice and easy - if only all train journeys were this simple! - and was blown away by the venue and the kindness and enthusiasm of the staff. All of which made me even more nervous! If it had been a dump and the people horrid, then I'd have felt less pressure to be fabulous!

I watched Rob, Alan and Damian all be fantastic, then it was my turn. I strolled out onstage and amazed myself! I had a stormer and did a cracking 25 minute set. It was just one of those perfect gigs.

Afterwards everyone was full of praise, and Polly rushed backstage with an envelope full of cash, not that I do it for the money you understand, but it is always a lovely feeling to come home with a purse full.

I realised that I often put myself down when it comes to performing. I can feel proud about other achievements in my life, but for some reason it seems wrong to me to take pride in the fact that for the last 15 years I've made a decent living telling jokes. I must be doing something right eh?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home