Wednesday, November 15, 2006

No Stars, But a Few Good Friends

Sooooo the promised megastar didn't materialise at Lenny Beige's Messaround last night. The rumour was that it was going to be Prince who was in town for the Music Hall of Fame thing, and if it was meant to be him, it's no surprise he didn't show.

Instead we got Lenny on fine form after a six year break, plus the amazing David McAlmont who sang the best version of The Look of Love I've heard since Dusty's original. We also were treated to a tune from the wonderful Oliver Darley as well as a cracking turn from the lovely Phil Nichol.

The crowd were a strange bunch, I suspect most of them were tv industry people, but even if they were these all powerful meeja types, it was no excuse for the incredibly rude behaviour of a fair few of them.

I've never seen a drunker, more coked-up bunch of ignorant wankers in my life! They brayed at the top of their voices while the singers did their thing, they bored the rest of us stiff with their inane chatter while Lenny was chatting and singing, in fact the only one who silenced them briefly was Phil.

That aside, I had a lovely night, some good laughs with Steve and just really enjoyed making the effort to dress up and go out for no money!

Back to normal now tho, I spent the afternoon sitting in the local hospital having a hearing test. After the bout of labyrinthitis in the summer my Doc figured it would be a good idea to make sure there was no lasting damage. I received the great news that my hearing is as perfect as hearing can be...hurrah!

This is a miracle considering all those years of my misspent youth when I'd have one of my ears jammed up against a massive speaker stack at various gigs. Plus at an age when traditionally things start breaking down, its nice to hear one bit of me is working well.

The weekend brings the delight that is Jongleurs Leicester, doing a mixture of MC'ing and sets, it should be fun.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home