Tuesday, August 12, 2008

It's Seaside Time Again...


Soooo this weekend it was my annual Brighton Komedia weekend, and what a corker it was!

The gigs were fantastic, it’s amazing how having some new jokes can revitalise a person’s attitude to stand-up. I’ve always enjoyed what I do, but these days I can’t wait to get onstage!
The line-up was pretty damn good too, the fabulous Jarred Christmas MC’ing, the erudite-as-everSimon Evans, and dirty-boy extraordinaire Jason Rouse. I got to go on first cos believe it or not, I was actually the least saucy act on the bill. That makes a lovely change believe me!

The hotel was cool - hey it ain’t the Ritz, but it’s clean, the staff are cool and the rooms at least have some character. It’s also in a lovely part of town - well technically its in Hove but there’s nowt in it really.

Saturday saw me doing my usual rounds of the shops but the inclement weather put a fairly early end to that. I got a couple of sale bargains, but its hard to be inspired when you’re having to wear a cagoule over a chiffon dress! Also, the seagulls had woken me at the ungodly hour of 6.30, so a disco nap was in order before the two shows. In between I was treated to coffee and a delicious ice cream by Jarred and his lovely missus Amelia.
Sunday I slept later cos I’d had the sense to close the windows, and after doing my exercise I hit the seafront. It was sunny so I was determined to make the most of it. Wandering towards town I heard the familiar strains of The Streets ‘You’re Fit But You Know It’ and figured someone had a ghetto blaster on waaaaaay too loud, but as I got further up it was actually them performing! 



Vodaphone were doing one of those TBA gigs and I got to see the last couple of numbers. I have to say that Mike Skinner is a whole lot cuter in the flesh, and a lot braver too as he crowd surfed with barely a thought for his safety. Tho I noticed he did take his trainers off, perhaps he was worried that someone was gonna nick em.

I had a lovely afternoon, drinking coffee, reading the Sunday papers in the sunshine and chilling. The weekend was topped off by one last cracking gig - roll on next year!

I’m embracing all the new technologies these days. I’m actually writing this on the train up to Edinburgh on my sexy lil MacBook Air and posting it via the free wi-fi on the train. How cool is that???????

I’ll be staying with my pal Mr Amos, who as usual is having a magnificent Festival, and I’m looking forward to catching a few shows and catching up with people I only ever seem to see north of the Border, once a year.

Full report to follow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home